[mythtv-users] Fuppes, PS3MediaServer and NUV files

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 12:47:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday, August 23, 2010 06:36:00 am Phill Edwards wrote:
>> I've been looking into installing either Fuppes or PS3MediaServer on
>> my CentOS combined backend/frontend. I transcode all my recordings to
>> NUV - can either Fuppes or PS3MediaServer play this format or would I
>> be wasting my time installing them?
>
> I don't think the question is whether a UPnP server can "play" a file, no such server plays anything, it just serves them
> up to a connected UPnP control point/renderer.
>
> Some will transcode on the fly to something your player can deal with, but the ultimate question is the capability of
> whatever you are trying to use to watch the files. If the player can play the file, then it should work with just about any
> server.

Ditto on that..  I was a happy mediatomb customer for the last year or
so..  It worked with our directv HDDVRs andm transcoded anything I
threw at t to the mpeg2ts format they needed.  Luckily, I have
replaced all of that with revos and authentic mythtv frontends
lately..  The mythtv recordings would have worked right away on the
dvrs, but the framerate was too high (they only support 8mbit/s)..

-Greg