[mythtv-users] WiFi support W-O-L?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Aug 23 19:58:18 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Wilga" <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu>
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Cc: "Craig Huff" <huffcslists at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:43 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] WiFi support W-O-L?

On 8/21/10 8:04 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> I'm trying to plan ahead for administrative tasks on a remote FE that
> will be using wifi for networking.
>
> I'm wondering (haven't found anything on it by googling, yet) whether
> wifi cards support wake on lan or not.
>
>I've done a little bit of research on various wifi card chipsets, and
never come across anything like this. I think the most likely reason is
that wifi is generally not implemented in such a way that there is power
to the transceiver when the computer is asleep.

>Furthermore, most of what goes on in a wifi connection happens in
software, not the wifi device's firmware; I don't think you'd be able to
even talk to a wifi device without an awoken CPU to act upon the data
being received.

>You could use a standalone WAP that is connected to a hardwired Ethernet
port on the sleeping machine, though. That would be my suggestion.

Try searching on "WOL" instead of W-O-L - and also see my recent post on this.