[mythtv-users] Superserver

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Aug 24 18:53:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Mark Hutchinson <markhsa at gmail.com> wrote:

> What vid cards did you use in the atom frontends?  I have had good luck
> with Nvidia 210 and those with an atom setup could be good.
> How about remote turn on/off with a kb?  Is that doable?

Just use Acer Aspire Revos. The on-board ION chipset video supports VDPAU so
you don't need a separate card. Netboot them and you can just shut them down
when not in use. I don't bother trying to do suspend/resume, I just use the
power button mapped to do a shutdown. My two FE boxes are set up this way.
Not Revos as they didn't exist when I built my system, but micro-ATX with
onboard 8300 video cards to support VDPAU and lower power AMD chips. A fair
bit more power hungry than the Revos would be. I'll likely move to something
like that when I decide to refresh the systems, but they have a lot of life
left in them.