[mythtv-users] ANN: PlugMyth, a new MythTV distribution for Plug computers

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 23:58:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 12:28 -0600, Tyler T wrote:
> >
> > Yes necessarily. A 5w tuner draws 5w from a PCI slot;
>
> When the BE is running.
>
> > a 5w tuner draws
> > 5w from a Plug.
>
> I thought you were using some sort of external (to the plug) tuner which
> would be on 24x7 since you can't suspend it.
>
> > Hence, a fixed cost for any MythTV installation.
>
> Not when you can power the tuner down when not using it.
>
> > This is getting pedantic. I think we've both made our points, is it
> > really necessary to debate minutiae?
>
> Well, I'd just be interested in actual numbers from your end.  I
> provided the numbers from my end.
>
> > 500GB. (1TB drives are also available.)
>
> Cool.  But as has been said in this thread, you really don't want your
> recordings and database on the same drive.
>
> > By definition a Plug is a small system that can't handle a lot of
> > recording, so I think we're going to be ok. ;) Still, there's nothing
> > to prevent you from putting multiple spindles on one Plug computer.
>
> And increasing the power draw -- power draw that you cannot inhibit by
> suspending.
>
> b.

Of course the other factor in sleeping your BE's is it really depends on the
activity pattern of your LiveTV usage and your scheduled recordings. If i
look at my BE's there are many days during a normal week where even in the
middle of the night they are busy. So with this type of usage pattern a low
operational power footprint is really the best strategy.

Andrew