[mythtv-users] Cheap Remote and receiver sale

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Aug 28 16:50:28 UTC 2010

On Saturday, August 28, 2010 09:52:56 am Tom Lichti wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 28, 2010 07:16:43 am David Williams wrote:
> >> Can anyone recommend a blaster with an integrated mousepad that just
> >> works? I found this one at Amazon and at ten bucks it looks too good to
> >> be true.
> >>
> >> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B002
> >> 24Z DFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282999193&sr=8-1
> >
> > Doesn't look like a blaster to me, looks like a remote and a receiver.
> >
> > According to some of the comments, it appears to show up as a keyboard
> > (HID), which might be either good or bad, depending on what you want to
> > do with it.
> >
> > Does seem to be a good price.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by "integrated mousepad".
>
> I think he means a mouse control on the remote. The only ones I recall
> with that are ATI TV Wonder remotes. Not sure how (if) they work in
> Linux though.

The TV Wonder was never very Linux friendly.

"Mousepad" to me is one of those foam pieces for mousing on. I guess they are now largely obsolete with the almost
universal adoption of optical mice.

I have found the "Piano Black" finish of my case will not work with any optical mouse, I understand mirrors don't work very
well either.

I have a Gyration wireless keyboard/mouse combo, with an "air mouse", that works quite well with any Linux distro I have
tried it on. It uses a single USB receiver, which makes setup really easy.

I guess someone will have to just try the remote in question, for $10 or $12 I may just order one, it's not risking much.