[mythtv-users] mythweb no longer usable with older OS

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sun Aug 29 14:37:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 01:26 -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:

> Do you know if the 5.3 requirement is primarily for use of the
> get_called_class() function mentioned here:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/439609#439609

I have employed the workaround described there (basically involves
adding a function that does what get_called_class does).

But now they have added an explicit check. I'm not sure what 5.3
features are being used that are not in 5.2.9, but I commented out the
check and mythweb is working OK so far. But I won't be surprised to
later find that something in mythweb doesn't work right.

I do take this warning to heart. I will not be doing any more updates to
the Myth software until I have a chance to install a newer OS (Fedora 13
to replace Fedora 10). Fortunately I keep a spare partition around for
this kind of thing; I can work on getting everything working in the new
OS while the old one can still run when there are recordings to make or
watch.

Michael Dean says that PHP 5.3 "is available" for older Fedora, but in
what form? I did a lot of Google searching but never came up with an
RPM. Unless I can find an easy way to upgrade PHP, I am probably better
off spending my time installing an up-to-date OS. which carries other
benefits besides just PHP. Fedora 12 at least does have PHP 5.3 as the
default version, so presumably so does F13.

--Greg