[mythtv-users] Upnp, dlna, interval Upnp updates on multicast 239.255.255.250 port 1900

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 18:32:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Ole Rydahl <ole_rydahl at qp12.dk> wrote:
>>>On 8/29/2010 12:15, Ole Rydahl wrote:
>>>I modified “Upnp Media Update Time” using mythTV Setup to 5 minutes. From
> the backend log it is >>clear that something is then done every 5 minutes,
> but the updates on the multicast address is >>unchanged - 30 minutes
> (Captured by Wireshark).
>
>>The UPnP server in MythTV performs its own scan of video content stored in
> MythVideo, rather than >using that in the database.  The 'media update time'
> is how often it will run that scan.  It has >nothing to do with how frequent
> your TV will refresh its listing.
>
> Thanks! I was close to that conclusion too. Any way of decreasing the time
> between MythTv-backend sends out Upnp announcements of its presence?

AFAIK, UPnP does not do that..  It broadcasts to the multicast address
that it is there and clients request the info.  If the clients cache
what they get I assume they are breaking some rules - the protocol is
not supposed to work that way.  Have you restarted mythtv-backend
after you changed the settings?  That setting does not broadcast
anything (or it should not) - I assume it just updates it's internal
listing so that when requested, new info is then sent out.  I assume
it requires a backend restart, but not positive.

I guess I should have mentioned that I do not have any of them running
any longer on my mythtv network.  I only keep it running on the
directv dvr network so they can watch stuff..  That's soon to be gone
as soon as I get this last machine going..