[mythtv-users] WAY OT: Storage designs

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 20:50:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, August 29, 2010 02:23:35 pm Greg Oliver wrote:
>> This is way off topic, but since Newegg sent me 2 bad computer
>> components out of 4, I am ending up with too much free time to
>> research how I want to implement this stuff  :)
>>
>> Since my single core revos did not have enough horsepower to also act
>> as a file server while doing backend and frontend duties (or without
>> those as well), I went ahead and bought a PC and am migrating storage
>> and BE duties to it (when it works - I'll never buy from Newegg again,
>> but that's another story)..
>
> It's hard to say if it's truly NewEgg's fault. I doubt they actually unbox gear and test it, so it may quite likely be the
> manufacturers fault. Not knowing the details I can't say for sure.
>
> All vendors receive bad gear once in a while, the question is how well do they accomodate you when you report it, do they
> ship a replacement right away? Do they require you to pay twice and await a refund? Pay for shipping both ways? Good
> vendors will take good care of you when the inevitable problems crop up.

They do not always properly ship hard drives especially if you
purchase more than 1 at a time. Two years ago when I was still buying
drives for work from them 1 drive out of every order (usually 3 to 10)
was DOA. This was fine with me because the $7 to ship it back was not
that much. For home purchases I had only 1 RMA to  newegg and that was
for a wrong product which I complained and they paid the shipping. All
of my hard drive (7 in the last 3 years) purchases were fine.

John