[mythtv-users] ANN: PlugMyth, a new MythTV distribution for Plug computers

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 30 12:39:05 UTC 2010

On August 28, 2010 18:13:11 Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2010/8/26 Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>:
> > Christopher Kerr wrote:
> >> I think for many (most?) users here, sleeping the master backend is an
> >> unacceptable solution, because you lose mythweb.
> >
> > Indeed. Perhaps "best of both worlds" would be to run master backend on a
> > plug (always on, very low power), and have it wake up slave BEs as
> > needed. --
> > Simon Hobson
>
> That's what I was talking about and what I am doing on my old Acer
> notebook. It is running maaster backend, mysql and mythweb.
>
> It wakes up slave backends over wake-on-lan without any problems.
> Slave backends shut down automaticaly after finishing recording...

I looked in to using a plug computer as a MBE, back in the winter.  I wanted
to replace most of the functions of of my old backend/home server.  I wanted
a replacement machine to do the host the following always on programs:

- Firewall to outside world (need 2 etherned ports)
- mythtv master backed
- mythtv database host
- samba and nfs network storage
- internal web server (apache)
- print server with cups
- scanner server with saned
- fax server (send only) with hylafax
- caller id with ncid
- possible mythtv recording with usb tuner
- internal imap server (cyrus)
- dhcp server (dnsmasq)

Since I wanted at least two hard disks I thought about about putting the
storage on a NAS, but that would involve having two always on devices, which
might take away from any possible power savings.  So I decided to run the all
of the above functions on a NAS instead of a plug computer.  I put debian on
my QNAP TS219P which has the same specs as the sheevaplug plus holds 2 sata
disks and has 2 esata ports.  It cost a lot more than a sheevaplug, but it
has the features that I want.  I hooked up a powered hub for all of my
peripherals, and things work pretty well.

Mark