[mythtv-users] Need a second opinion regarding choppy video playback suspicions

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 13:12:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!  I ran out of time this weekend to work on this, but the plan
> is to pull out a keyboard and mouse to hook up to the remote FE and
> work with nvidia-settings to see if that improves things before I
> spend money on a lesser video card to try and solve the problem.
>
> That is unless someone can tell me how to run nvidia-settings remotely
> through an ssh x-forwarded session and have it configure the remote FE
> video and _not_ the local video.

6. Connecting to Remote X Servers
       nvidia-settings  is  an  X client, but uses two separate X connections:
       one to display the GUI,  and  another  to  communicate  the  NV-CONTROL
       requests.   These  two  X  connections  do not need to be to the same X
       server.  For example, you might run  nvidia-settings  on  the  computer
       stravinsky.nvidia.com,    export    the   display   to   the   computer
       bartok.nvidia.com, but be configuring the  X  server  on  the  computer
       schoenberg.nvidia.com:

               nvidia-settings --display=bartok.nvidia.com:0 \
                   --ctrl-display=schoenberg.nvidia.com:0

So - if you ssh -X into your FE, and then use the --ctrl-display=FE:0
- you should be configuring that machine..

-Greg