[mythtv-users] mythtv / linux problem with horizontal cutting seen on playback

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Aug 30 14:38:10 UTC 2010

On 8/30/10 9:54 AM, Michael Cook wrote

> Not sure what the right technical term is but I have everything
> working well except in scenes with high speed panning, motion I see
> horizontal lines cutting up the picture.
>
> In scenes like panning across a hockey arena during a hockey game I
> see either blurred or jerky panning presumably because processing has
> got too much for Mythtv.  It is blurred or jerky depending on whether
> I select XvMC or ffmpeg&Xvideo.

This is commonly referred to as "tearing" (pronounced like what you do
to your hair when you see it.)

It can be caused by sync issues, by lack of processor power or, in my
case, by the TV itself trying (and failing) to make the picture look better.

- Does it happen more for HD vs. SD content? If so, then it might be
lack of CPU power. You might try using VDPAU, if you aren't already.

- Does it happen less if you turn off all deinterlacing? If so, and
you're not using VDPAU, then it might be sync. Try fiddling with the
sync options in nvidia-control and MFE.

- Most importantly, IMHO, turn off all video "enhancements" in your TV,
as they may be doing more harm than good. This includes anything that
would make it change the size of the image or "fix" motion blur.