[mythtv-users] WOL problem

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Mon Aug 30 17:40:15 UTC 2010

Hi Geoff.

Quoting everything for the list.

On 30/08/10 16:10, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Another thread on the list (about automatic shutdown and startup)
> pointed to something which sounds like it deals with your problem.
>
> A quick google turned up this page

> which might just do what you want, using ethtool.
>
> Under fedora, I would just put the script line referred to in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local which always gets run on boot, rather than fiddle
> with putting it into each run-level.
>
> Note that there is a reference to the possbible need for a cable to the
> motherboard....And the online specs for my old SP13000 state that it has
> a WOL header on the board. But I cannot find any further reference in
> the documentation.
>
> Soooooo "the truth is out there"....
>
> HTH
>
> Geoff

I had seen this before posting.

My problem is that, whereas I can wake up the machine using WOL after
power has been completely shut off, I can't do it when the machine has
been shut down in the normal way.

I've seen reports of the problem being the other way around (WOL works
after the machine has been shut down but not after it's been powered
down), but not of my particular combination of symptoms.

I've also seen Joe Henley's recommendation, which is essentially not to
shut the machine down but rather put it to S3 sleep. Thanks for that
Joe, I'll report back when I've tested it.

Meanwhile I remain interested in the question as to how to shut this
machine down in a way that will enable it to be WOL-ed.

(Reminder: it's a diskless root-on-nfs machine).

Thanks, Jan