[mythtv-users] Best way to watch recording remotely

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 05:42:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 7:53 AM, George Mari
<george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:
> MythWeb allows you do this, except for the bit about skipping backwards.  As
> far as I can see, you can pause what is playing, but attempting to skip back
> results in it starting from the beginning.

Hi George and all,

So, I ended up spending some time trying to figure out the best way to
do this.  I wanted to provide a link so that ffmpeg was utilised to
transcode the data on the fly and pass it to a remote player like VLC
in the hope that I could pause, skip backwards and hopefully skip
forwards.

I ran out of time to do any kind of implementation so fell back to
using mythwebs flash based flowplayer.  It worked surprisingly well
(although my upstream connection from home is too poor to provide
anything of great quality) but I was unable to skip around even in the
cached portion of the stream; bummer!

Anyways, following this I managed to find two tickets related to
flowplayer and mythweb.  8017 provides the ability to skip around
within the cached data, which would have been great for me to jump
back and rewatch snippets of the recording.  8206 allows you to do
pseudo streaming, where you can jump to anywhere in the stream and
even if it isn't cached yet (but obviously you will have to wait for
the buffer to fill a little).

I don't think either of these two tickets would be good for watching
live TV, since they rely on knowing the stream size when the stream is
being initially generated.  I will be looking into this more when I
get back home from my work away to hopefully provide a simple
resolution (in case I get sent away again :( )

FYI: 8017 is included in trunk now.  8206 looks to be targetted at 0.25.

Cheers,
Whytey