[mythtv-users] Cablevision requiring STB for all TVs in my area soon

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 15:38:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Fred <ffluvssg1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to figure out my options now that I have received a letter in
> the mail from Cablevision on Long Island (NY) informing me that "all your
> televisions will require a digital cable box by September 28, 2010. Also,
> without a digital cable box, your TV cannot access iO TV (r)." For those who
> don't know, iO TV is Cablevision's digital channel package (anything over
> channel 99).<snip>

Question: The second line, does this mean your regular TV without a box can
access 1-99?  I have TWC without digital (even tho it's free with box
rental, just regular analog has been fine my whole life, and I get sports in
HD with my TV tuner except ESPN Monday Night, which I can live with) so can
get 3-76 or w/e it is plus the unencrypted HD channels (fox/cbs/cw/etc).  So
just curious if the box is really "required" for all content, or just
digital content.