[mythtv-users] Transcoding SD MPEG2 to H.264---recommendations?

D. R. Newman d.r.newman at e-consultation.org
Wed Dec 1 23:28:31 UTC 2010

On 30/11/10 16:11, John Pilkington wrote:
> One point I noticed in Dave Newman's script might affect later use of
> its output.  I find that ProjectX doesn't like working with mpeg2 files
> concatenated with 'cat'.  It has problems with the timestamps and
> returns only the first section. Ymmv. It's ok if everything is demuxed
> in sequence and then remuxed.

Thanks for the warning. I only use ProjectX at the beginning. Once I
have cleaned up the file, I then use Avidemux for converting the MPEG2
files to Xvid or H264. The sequence I use is:

1. ProjectX to demux, producing separate audio and video files.

2. mplex to multiplex, producing one or more MPEG2 files.

3. If there are multiple files, that means the programme has been split
into segments with different aspect ratios. From UK TV, that means the
advertisements are now separated from the programme material. So I
delete alternate files, then cat the remaining ones together.

remux.pl runs 1, 2 then 3.

4. I then compress the MPEG2 files using the avid.pl script (attached).

Dave Newman