[mythtv-users] Lirc on Fedora 14 x86_64 Hauppauge 150

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 1 23:45:09 UTC 2010

On 12/01/2010 05:29 PM, Andrew Allison wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'll try this question then.
>
> Has anyone got /dev/lirc0 being auto magically created on Fedora 14
> x86_64 with a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150.

The hardware is showing up at a different place. In that case, you need
to put the correct device address into /etc/syconfig/lirc ( and the
correct driver too).

I don't guarantee that this will work, but it should point you in the
correct direction.

You can start by reading Jarod Wilson's Junk at
http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95

Two-thirds of the way down the page there is a link underlying the words
"use lircd in devinput mode" which points to:

http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html

This page, UNFORTUNATELY, is not linked to within the lirc.org website
(hint, hint! Jarod!).

This page describes why lirc might be failing: the hardware gets stolen
by HAL. You need to add a file,(call it 11-ignore-pv150.fdi
to /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty  containing:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
  <match key="info.product" contains="SOMETHING EXACT">
     <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
  </match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

To find out what hal thinks your hardware IS, run something like:

lshal | grep Hauppauge (or cx88) or search individually through the 130+
entries to find out what hal calls it. Then put that exact name in place
of 'SOMETHING EXACT' about.

Save the file,
run service haldaemon restart

then run:  lshal | grep -A 10 -B 6 SOMETHING

you should see that the udi entry for the SOMETHING has been marked as
'ignore true'  (not in those words, exactly).

But you still need to talk to the correct place and with the correct
info. The udi entry will have a pci address for the card. Look for that
under /dev/input/by-path
When you find it, put the path entry into the /etc/sysconfig/lirc file,
as in this imon entry (using /dev/input/by-id/)

# An empty value will use the default /dev/lirc0 device.
LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_ffdc-event-if00"

You can test using:
service lirc stop
lircd --driver=devinput
--device=/dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_ffdc-event-if00 -n

And you should see the 'initialized' message.

You will have to use a Ctl^C to stop lircd. You can then start it as a
service.

And it should work.
Good luck.

Geoff