[mythtv-users] Can't get audio to work on frontend

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:46:04 UTC 2010

Hi

On 2 December 2010 17:39, Bobby Gill <brownitus at gmail.com> wrote:

>> you are using a digital output, iec958 is spdif (coax or optical)
>>
>> You won't get sound from the analog output that way.
>>
>> If using digital, there's no point setting the control volume, that
>> won't work with digital

Please post the result of :

aplay -l

and
aplay -L

> Oops! Okay I hit scan for audio devices again and the options it provides
> are:
>
> ALSA:iec958:CARD=Revolution71,DEV=0
> ALSA:side:CARD=Revolution71,DEV=0
> NULL
>
> (Up till now, I had been using ALSA:default. Here is my /etc/asound.conf if

Your default ALSA device points to ALSA:duplex, which points to
ALSA:dmix6 which points to ALSA:hw:0,0". Talk about a complicated alsa
config ! And buggy as that.
You have two definitions of the pcm.default device in there, with the
2nd one referring to plugequal -> dmix6 -> hw:0,0