[mythtv-users] How to force initial live tv channel [0.23 fixes]

malcolm malcolm.torrent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:22:29 UTC 2010

Is there any way I can force the starting channel so live TV always
starts on my channel of preference, a bit like when you switch on an old
analogue set and it always starts on channel 001?

I need this because:
1: Who doesn't want Live TV to start on their favourite channel.!
2: After my tuner is used for a recording, the last channel used is
saved. This means that when i next go into live TV I can be on an 'off
air' channel.(like BBC4 in the UK)
Currently, I change to the required channel but because the 'off air'
signal is often a lower resolution than normal TV, I find that when I
switch channels the channel scaling is incorrectly set on the new
channel(resulting in tops of heads / banners missing etc).
The only way to fix it is to then exit and reenter Live tv which starts
the last channel correctly. In the morning this eats in to valuable
coffee drinking time and if that wasn't bad enough, 10% reduction in WAF.
I believe this is a feature of MythTV or my tuners (DVico Dual Fusion)
and not my TV.

work arounds considered so far are:
a. reserve the last tuner for live TV and therefore reduce the
probability of the effect occurring. I recall doing this at build time
on a previous system but have no idea how to do it on a production build
without doing a tuner remove & re-add. I've a strong desire not to mess
with my otherwise stable system and anyway this is only a probable fix.
[5/10]
b. Set up a custom recording that records one minute on the channel of
choice followed by a user job that deletes the recording! This is my
other halfs suggestion. Its so nasty a solution I'm only adding it here
to save someone else embarrassing themselves. [1/10]
c. write a cron job that alters the entry in the myth database that hold
the last channel used info (wherever that is). Replace last used with it
default channel (say). This offers the viable solution but I'm unsure
what would happen if the database entry is changed during a scheduled
recording. [7/10]

Has anyone come across this issue or can offer any other ideas on how to
resolve it.
Failing that, in what table is the last channel used info hiding?

My System is
OS: Mythbuntu 10.04
MythTV Version   : 24158
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
Network Protocol : 56
Library API      : 0.23.20100314-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2

If you read all of this message, you have the patience of a saint and my
many thanks
Mal.