[mythtv-users] Can't get audio to work on frontend

Bobby Gill brownitus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 23:56:04 UTC 2010

> You can also use ALSA:front provided no other application are using it.

Okay that worked, however I'd like to get back to the upmixing to all
speakers.

> The proper way to setup things would be to stop all other application
> using sound, run the setup, scan for devices and select ALSA:front
>
> > Again I'd really appreciate it if you could help in improving my
> asound.conf
> > and/or helping me to achieve mixing so that it runs as before without
> having
> > to shutdown other apps. Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Then type ALSA:plugequal in the audio device list.

This resulted in no sound and output of:

2010-12-02 18:43:38.685 Current MythTV Schema Version (DBSchemaVer): 1264
2010-12-02 18:43:39.890 ALSA, Error: No playback configurations available:
Invalid argument
2010-12-02 18:43:39.890 Audio device ALSA:plugequal isn't usable Check audio
configuration
2010-12-02 18:43:40.228 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.

> Your issue is that you have more than one default plug in the asound.conf
>
> If you want to have audio using more than one application at a time,
> without having to mess with asound.conf, simply use pulseaudio. That's
> what it is for.
> And then select ALSA:pulse or PulseAudio:default in mythtv

Ha, I just realized what I did wrong! Such a putz am I. I had just
reinstalled Arch and copied over my asound.conf from backup, but checking
the Arch wiki for ALSA I saw a section with equalizer here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa#System-Wide_Equalizer  and so I
added that to try, and just realized that that was interfering with my
default as you mentioned I had more than one, which I never did before. I
simply commented out the equalizer plugs and voila, all is back to normal
now. I am using ALSA:Default in myth as before and just tested: .mkv w/5.1,
mpd and firefox flash play simultaneously exactly as before. Yeesh!

I am curious though, how could I retain usage of that equalizer without it
interfering with the rest of my asound.conf? (If possible). I wouldn't mind
giving Pulseaudio a try as well, but just for the sake of current setup
that'd be neat to have the equalizer working as well if I can.

Thanks so much!
Bobby