[mythtv-users] Can't get audio to work on frontend

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 00:05:22 UTC 2010

On 3 December 2010 10:56, Bobby Gill <brownitus at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can also use ALSA:front provided no other application are using it.
>
> Okay that worked, however I'd like to get back to the upmixing to all
> speakers.

?

you are using a stereo output, what is there to upmix?

your asound.conf downmix, not upmix.

And myth will properly downmix all content from surround sound to
stereo no worries (and do so better than your asound.conf would)

If you want to use surround sound, select ALSA:surround51 or
something, and set your audio speakers in myth as 5.1

> This resulted in no sound and output of:
>
> 2010-12-02 18:43:38.685 Current MythTV Schema Version (DBSchemaVer): 1264
> 2010-12-02 18:43:39.890 ALSA, Error: No playback configurations available:
> Invalid argument
> 2010-12-02 18:43:39.890 Audio device ALSA:plugequal isn't usable Check audio
> configuration
> 2010-12-02 18:43:40.228 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.

you're missing some logs there, and use -v audio

> Ha, I just realized what I did wrong! Such a putz am I. I had just
> reinstalled Arch and copied over my asound.conf from backup, but checking
> the Arch wiki for ALSA I saw a section with equalizer here:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa#System-Wide_Equalizer  and so I
> added that to try, and just realized that that was interfering with my
> default as you mentioned I had more than one, which I never did before. I
> simply commented out the equalizer plugs and voila, all is back to normal
> now. I am using ALSA:Default in myth as before and just tested: .mkv w/5.1,
> mpd and firefox flash play simultaneously exactly as before. Yeesh!

i thought that would be the case ...

But earlier you said you were using stereo audio to an analog TV... so
what's the go with downmixing like you do ?

> I am curious though, how could I retain usage of that equalizer without it
> interfering with the rest of my asound.conf? (If possible). I wouldn't mind
> giving Pulseaudio a try as well, but just for the sake of current setup
> that'd be neat to have the equalizer working as well if I can.

you can do all that with pulse, and even application not pulse aware
would work too...