[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 3 18:04:57 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 03, 2010 10:34:14 am Steven Adeff wrote:

> Legacy hardware is an issue, but I wonder how many people are still
> using it? My headaches with XvMC led me to suck it up and buy better
> CPU's, then when VDPAU arrived, to buy hardware that supported that.
>
> Since then, I've recently purchased 3 ION systems, two for my house
> and one for my parents. All three cost me $200(US$ in the US) each
> and all three play back my HDPVR 1080i content with Temporal 2x
> perfectly. I've noticed the price on the Atom330 based ION's have
> dropped considerably since the ION2 platform was released. Actually,
> the one my parents got was a single core, for $218US (taxes), the
> two I got later, for my house, are dual core (330) and came in
> slightly under $200US. Of course, you have to add your own remote
> control device, but I figure as an upgrade path those are already
> being used, and can be had for under $20US as well
>
> Hopefully VA-API will be supported soon in some fashion and this will
> allow the intel graphics hardware to accelerate playback, especially
> on laptops that have it and no ability to support the CrystalHD
> miniPCI devices.

I suspect many folks are like me, I keep pretty up to date with the main
backend machine, but I still have a couple of AGP boxes in use as
frontends. I've replaced one of them with a Revo (very happy with that),
but I don't want to spend $400 to make everything VDPAU capable right
now.

Have you noticed any advantages to dual-core Atoms for frontend use? I
figure if you're not doing commflagging or transcoding a single core is
enough, unless of course you run into something the ION can't help with.

Now that Flash can be helped by VDPAU, that situation is a lot better.

I'd really like to see Intel graphics become usable, I've passed on a
few hardware options because they have Intel GPUs. Making old laptops,
perhaps with broken screens, become usable frontends would be nice, only
the newest ones seem to have mini-PCI slots for a CrystalHD module.