[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 18:16:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Friday, December 03, 2010 10:34:14 am Steven Adeff wrote:
>> Legacy hardware is an issue, but I wonder how many people are still
>> using it? My headaches with XvMC led me to suck it up and buy better
>> CPU's, then when VDPAU arrived, to buy hardware that supported that.
>>
>> Since then, I've recently purchased 3 ION systems, two for my house
>> and one for my parents. All three cost me $200(US$ in the US) each
>> and all three play back my HDPVR 1080i content with Temporal 2x
>> perfectly. I've noticed the price on the Atom330 based ION's have
>> dropped considerably since the ION2 platform was released. Actually,
>> the one my parents got was a single core, for $218US (taxes), the
>> two I got later, for my house, are dual core (330) and came in
>> slightly under $200US. Of course, you have to add your own remote
>> control device, but I figure as an upgrade path those are already
>> being used, and can be had for under $20US as well
>>
>> Hopefully VA-API will be supported soon in some fashion and this will
>> allow the intel graphics hardware to accelerate playback, especially
>> on laptops that have it and no ability to support the CrystalHD
>> miniPCI devices.
>
> I suspect many folks are like me, I keep pretty up to date with the main
> backend machine, but I still have a couple of AGP boxes in use as
> frontends. I've replaced one of them with a Revo (very happy with that),
> but I don't want to spend $400 to make everything VDPAU capable right
> now.
>
> Have you noticed any advantages to dual-core Atoms for frontend use? I
> figure if you're not doing commflagging or transcoding a single core is
> enough, unless of course you run into something the ION can't help with.
>
> Now that Flash can be helped by VDPAU, that situation is a lot better.
>
> I'd really like to see Intel graphics become usable, I've passed on a
> few hardware options because they have Intel GPUs. Making old laptops,
> perhaps with broken screens, become usable frontends would be nice, only
> the newest ones seem to have mini-PCI slots for a CrystalHD module.

the dual cores are peppier in the menu and loading up MythVideo and
MythMusic, not by a whole lot, but definitely noticeable.

I got the dual cores because I got the systems on sale through Newegg,
who seems to put them on sale at least twice a month. For playback,
VDPAU handles everything, but the OSD fade needs to be disabled or you
get visual stutter, with the single core getting occasional audio
stutter as well for higher bitrate streams.

I get the feeling that, by the time 0.25 comes out, you should be able
to get a 230 (single core) based ION system for even cheaper.

all my commflagging is done by my backend which is a Pentium E2160 and
plenty fast to flag a couple streams real-time. transcoding I don't
really use myth, so I can do it on my backend or my laptop.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!