[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Dec 3 19:55:57 UTC 2010

On 12/3/2010 13:04, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday, December 03, 2010 10:34:14 am Steven Adeff wrote
>> Hopefully VA-API will be supported soon in some fashion and this will
>> allow the intel graphics hardware to accelerate playback, especially
>> on laptops that have it and no ability to support the CrystalHD
>> miniPCI devices.
> I'd really like to see Intel graphics become usable, I've passed on a
> few hardware options because they have Intel GPUs. Making old laptops,
> perhaps with broken screens, become usable frontends would be nice, only
> the newest ones seem to have mini-PCI slots for a CrystalHD module.

Intel graphics are perfectly usable.  If benchmark websites are to be
believed, the X4500s should have plenty of power to use the OpenGL
renderer, and the GMA HD units in i3 and i5 processors are actually
comparable to the nVidia chips in ION systems.

VA-API is only supported for the X4500HD/MHD, GMA HD and GMA 500
chipsets.  Most people with existing Intel systems will have GMA 950,
X3100, or X4500 (non-HD) chipsets.  None of these are supported by
VA-API.  Of the systems that are supported, the X4500HD and GMA HD
chipsets are only found in high end systems, which are likely to already
be able to decode everything using the software decoders, making VA-API
nice but unnecessary.  The only systems that will be made usable through
VA-API are low end GMA 500 based ones.