[mythtv-users] Nvidia 260 yuv gives better image quality

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sat Dec 4 08:56:53 UTC 2010

On 4 Dec 2010, at 03:59, Neil Salstrom wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> No worries, sadly I'm not using v260 any more so had to drop back to rgb, too many problems so I'm waiting for a newer version.
>>
>> Andre

> Well, I've had a few minutes to remove the vdpaustudio from the
> playback filters and see how things looked with YUV output....  I used
> the AVS calibration files for White / Black and Hue / Tint settings.
> The Hue / Tint were dead on.  The White / Black were WAY off from
> using RGB with the vdpaustudio filter.  I could not see any of the
> black bars in the Black Level test pattern and had to really increase
> the Brightness.  I also had to significantly increase the Contrast as
> well.
>
> Video (HD and SD) seems OK but I'll need to watch something to see.
> The Mythtv menu looks extremely washed out.
>
> I think I need to play with this a bit more before I decide what is best.

I couldn't really follow what you have done, way off in what sense?

If you are unable to see the "blacker than black" and "whiter than white" bars at ANY reasonable brightness and contrast setting then your TV needs to have studio levels.
The AVS thread I linked to explains how to use the test patterns better than a few lines on here.

Note that vdpau video seems to be independently rendered at full or studio levels regardless of nvidia-settings, so adjust video with "vdpaustudio" or not and the theme with nvidia-settings.

Andre