[mythtv-users] Flash, VDPAU, MythNetVision and You

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 14:11:14 UTC 2010

> Note, also, that Flash has had hardware acceleration support on GNU/Linux
> since 9.0.115.0 (in May 2008) using OpenGL (and I'm pretty sure that
> includes the 64-bit Flash versions). This allows the video to be dumped to
> OpenGL in RGB (the colorspace that Flash uses***). Then OpenGL can do the
> video scaling, and full-size graphic elements can be composited on top of
> the video by OpenGL. (Then again, with OpenGL support, I /think/ they could
> dump the unscaled video in YUV to the graphics card, let OpenGL scale it,
> then dump a full-size graphic element in RGB, and let the graphic card
> composite it on top of the video--doing all required colorspace
> conversions--but I'm not positive. And even if they could, I don't know if
> they actually do it that way versus just doing the YUV->RGB conversion in
> software.)
>
> However, hardware acceleration in Flash only works with content authored to
> take advantage of this. See:
> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguinswf/2008/05/flash_uses_the_gpu.html
> and
> http://www.kaourantin.net/2008/05/what-does-gpu-acceleration-mean.html
> for details.
>
> TTBOMK, this just means that for 2 1/2 years, it's been possible for sites
> like Hulu/NBC and Fox and CWTV (which use wmode transparent) and CBS (which
> uses wmode opaque) to have provided content that allows hardware-accelerated
> playback in Flash, but they chose not to.
>
> Of course, now that Adobe is making a big deal out of it, they're likely to
> do things right. However, AFAIU, that means that anyone with OpenGL support
> will also benefit.

Mike:

Thanks for the very detailed and interesting explanation.  I assume
from what you said above, that those of us on 64-bit systems might do
well to just wait for the content authors to take advantage of the
hardware acceleration that already exists in Flash and not jump
through the hoops needed to get 32-bit flash/VDPAU running.  Is this
correct (assuming the 64-bit Flash player does OpenGL)?

Thanks again.

George