[mythtv-users] WARNING: Samsung F4 owners / warning. Disable smartmontools

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 4 16:29:27 UTC 2010

On Saturday, December 04, 2010 09:23:01 am John Drescher wrote:
> It is now known that the samsung F4 has a buggy firmware that causes
> 64 sectors of data to randomly be discarded from the write cache when
> an ATA command to identify the device is executed during a disk
> write. I have 3 F4 and I have verified that the issue does exist on
> my drives. Samsung is  aware of this bug and is working on a fix.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlo
> cks

Oh great, another HDD vendor off my list.

I figure if a vendor would let something like this slip by there's no
telling what else they have missed.

Of course other vendors probably have similar problems, but in cases
where such negligence has been demonstrated, I just stay away from them.

It's funny how many problems seem to happen with drives advertised as
"eco-friendly" or "green", as opposed to plain old regular drives.

I speak as someone who once owned a lot of Micropolis drives. Once
bitten...