[mythtv-users] Future-proofing my disc archiving (audio-wise)

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Dec 4 18:07:49 UTC 2010

On 12/4/2010 12:03, Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/4/2010 11:11, Phil Bridges wrote:
>>> I have a few HD-DVDs that I need to back up soon, for fear that my
>>> HD-DVD player will soon die.  I'm trying to figure out what audio
>>> format to use, though.
>> Just concatenate the two EVOBs together, and store that.  Problem solved.
> I guess I should mention that I will be doing compression on the video
> portion, because I don't, unfortunately, have unlimited space.  (or,
> more importantly, physical space for unlimited hard drives)

If you don't have unlimited space, you should have never even brought up
FLAC.  Lossless multi-channel, 24-bit, 96kHz audio can get real big real
fast.  You're looking at as high as 3GB/hr for that alone.

Honestly though, there just isn't that much content available on HDDVD.
At 15-20GB for the main movie, you can still store every HDDVD worth
having on a single hard drive.