[mythtv-users] Graphite and Arclight Themes

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Dec 4 19:56:16 UTC 2010

* On Sat Dec 04, 2010 at 01:06:20PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >is better that the backend also hosts the themes and serves them like
> >any other content to the frontend. I understand that this is probably
> >a rather large change to the architecture/system.
>
> Chris already wrote that code.  That's exactly how it works.

This copy on the backend is stored inside the QNetworkDiskCache's cache
on disk. This cache defaults to 50 MegaBytes max normally and isn't
used for much right now, so it should hold a theme long enough for you
to walk around to all your frontends and install the theme on each
without having to fetch the theme package over the internet again
since it will still be in the QNetworkDiskCache cache.

I also have tested code to just store the theme on the backend once and
have it used on-demand over the myth protocol so each frontend doesn't
store a copy, but that code is much slower than having the theme
locally accessible, so I threw that code and idea out. :)

> designed to handle storing things***--there will probably be an option
> eventually to allow you to delete unused themes using the UI.  Note,

The Theme Choser screen already lets you delete themes that you downloaded,
so if you decide you don't like the "John Doe's Cool Theme Of The Day
#51" theme, then you can delete it to make way for tomorrow's #52.  This
is done mainly to clean up the Theme Chooser screen itself than to save
the few MegaBytes of storage that theme is taking up on disk.

--
Chris