[mythtv-users] Thanks, Comcast, for moving my PBS!

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sun Dec 5 03:33:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Mike Bennett <mbppg at comcast.net> wrote:
> Be prepared for more changes. Comcast is trying align the channel maps
> across the US too be the same. Over the years as they bought up smaller
> headend's etc. all their channel maps were different. Now with Xfinity they
> want to make all the channels maps the same, so say discovery is on channel
> 16 here in Colorado it will also be on 16 in Florida, New York or
> California.

I think you're confusing virtual channel maps and real channel maps.
There really is no such thing as "channel 16" any more.  It's a
virtual channel which is just a lookup into a frequency/program table
which is broadcast to the set top box.  Comcast is trying to align the
virtual channels, but I don't think they have any intention of
aligning the real channel maps needed by the HDHR.  Both Comcast and
Verizon have their fingers in their ears and are shouting "la la la la
la la" as loud as they can whenever anyone suggests not wanting one of
their set top boxes.

Eric