[mythtv-users] channels/DVB card go missing

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Mon Dec 6 01:58:53 UTC 2010

> is it possible that your backend is starting before the kernel has
> finished loading the modules for your tuner cards? It then can't see
> them and things wil break. The kludgy trick is to set a few seconds
> delay in the backend startup script. sleep 10 pauses for 10 seconds.

I don't believe so since I can see the cards registered, firmware loaded when I check dmesg. Unless that's not enough of a test to know 100%?

> the other alternative theory is that the cards get swapped on startup.
> sometimes modules get loaded in a different order and what was
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 on one boot will become
> /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 next time. You need to look at udev rules
> to keep them consistent.

I wondered about this also and have checked. They are always the same when the system reboots but since there's an error once they go missing, I can't tell in the mythtv-setup gui at least.

Right now, what I've done is to remove the DVB /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 from the Capture card section and for now, it's running again. When I change channels over to a W5, what ever channel the W5 is on is coming up.
Might you, there's an ugly red pattern on top of the video on that.