[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 03:16:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 12/5/2010 21:33, Eloy Paris wrote:

>>> If you're playing content usable through VDPAU, you're only going to
>>> be sending a few MB/s, not a problem for PCI.  The other UI bits are
>>> not active enough to cause any problems wither.  Any HD content that
>>> can't be played through VDPAU will likely require too much bandwidth
>>> to realistically be used.
>>
>> Newegg has a NVIDA 8400-based PCI card for less than $40. That's what I
>> am thinking of buying. The only problem I see with this card is that it
>> has 256 MBytes of RAM. Would this amount of RAM be a deal breaker and
>> it'd be better to go with another card that has 512 MBytes of RAM?
>
> VDPAU in MythTV really isn't happy with less than 512MB of memory.  A quick
> check of newegg means the price is bumped up to $50.
>
> Your original $400 quote is really a bit excessive, especially for a lowly
> Atom.  You can build a full system with plenty of CPU power for any software
> decoding needs for around $300.  If you have an existing system you can
> scavage, you can manage one for less than $200.  I put together an upgrade
> almost two years ago for $160 (AMD dual-core, nVidia micro-atx, 2GB), that
> is still plenty capable of handling anything I've thrown at it.

This is fine for those of you in the US.

1. You can get a revo for US$200. (albeit a refurb 1600)

2. US$200 is NZ$248 according to my bank, right now.

3. the cheapest revo i can find in NZ here right now is a 3610 for $758.

I know thats not quite apples with apples as they are different
version, but the prices here are off the richter scale.

Same goes for most IT gear, anything you can buy for US$X will be
NZ$3X, particularly small, quiet, efficient - this just seems to be a
reason to rort the average kiwi even more!

Not your fault I know, but very annoying when I see this sort of
discussion and people saying how cheap an upgrade is!