[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 11:17:32 UTC 2010

Hi

On 6 December 2010 21:41, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm sure it's possible to have one track that's low density and readable without all the clever trickery usually used, then a minimal firmware bootstrap loader that knows only this track could load up the full firmware. Sounds like a common practice, should be ok provided the bootstrap loader knows how to re-write the firmware track!

I'm not sure if you've ever designed embedded firmware before (btw,
that's what I do for a living), but the amount of smarts required to
start spinning the disk, move the head to the right spot, read the
data, load the firmware in RAM and start is quite massive to start
with.

As you said, you would need a firmware for just that (probably on
flash). Constraints on flash make them all of a minimum size to start
with.

The drive needs a writing location to record the bad sectors and other
bad spot detected on the disk too..