[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 11:51:12 UTC 2010

On 6 Dec 2010, at 11:17, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 6 December 2010 21:41, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> I'm sure it's possible to have one track that's low density and readable without all the clever trickery usually used, then a minimal firmware bootstrap loader that knows only this track could load up the full firmware. Sounds like a common practice, should be ok provided the bootstrap loader knows how to re-write the firmware track!
>
> I'm not sure if you've ever designed embedded firmware before (btw,
> that's what I do for a living),

I used to for 3 or 4 years when I left college but that wasn't recently (clue: 6502, 6809 and later 68hc11) and never for hard disks, so I'm only offering a half to third educated guess ;-) I've often thought I should get going again and get involved with some driver code somewhere but I was a machine code "bit twiddler", all this high level stuff with "compilers" I think they are called is a bit alien ;-)

> but the amount of smarts required to
> start spinning the disk, move the head to the right spot, read the
> data, load the firmware in RAM and start is quite massive to start
> with.
>
> As you said, you would need a firmware for just that (probably on
> flash). Constraints on flash make them all of a minimum size to start
> with.

Maybe the firmware just got too big for the chips they just bought five million of, so some firmware guy came up with a "clever trick" to save his job and reputation! I've heard of worse... I've sat there at 3am trying to optimise code to fit in available flash memory for some in field devices and that was low volume high price TV industry stuff where the cost of extra flash wasn't significant, the cost of re-working existing hardware always is significant though.

I agree it's extremely unlikely in a reasoned design, we are talking about PC hardware though.