[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 HDMI audio problem

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:19:23 UTC 2010

Hi Jarod

On 20 November 2010 17:03, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> On 20 November 2010 08:36, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>> sure if its directly related or not, but scanning for audio
>>> devices tends to always segfault on this box too. Same build
>>> works just fine on an ion box.
>>
>> Great, can you put a backtrace on trac ?
>
> Yeah, I should be able to do that this weekend. Is there a ticket already
> opened that I should tack it onto, or shall I open a new one?
>
>>> (nVidia 260.19.21 driver, ALSA 1.0.23 kernelspace and userspace).
>>
>> Did you try the last suggestion of using ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=x ?
>
> Yep. Still no sound. Silence is NOT golden in this case... ;)

Well, I received my new audio receiver for my cinema room.
So the first thing I did was installed the GT220 card in the PC
(identical one to my other machine)..

Started.. and ... no sound

I've finally tracked the issue.

Following the steps I had written on how to achieve judder-free
playback, I had totally overridden the EDID with Option "UseEDID"
"false"

Well, this is what caused no sound for me.

I replaced it with:
    Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
    Option "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"

(which according to nvidia is the same), and I get audio ...

I guess UseEDID disables audio over hdmi as the nvidia drivers aren't
able to check if the display supports sound.
(note that without  Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True" , one of my
custom modelines were working)

I thought you could be having the same issue
Jean-Yves