[mythtv-users] MCE lirc on Debian Squeeze

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Mon Dec 6 20:16:56 UTC 2010

On 12/06/2010 11:51 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to configure my remote on lirc. On Lenny I got it
> working, but on Squueze I am getting troubles. The receiver is a MCE
> one.
>
> When I run this, the re is no any mceusb2 driver:
>
> lircd --driver=help
> Driver `help' not supported.
> Supported drivers:
> 	accent
> 	alsa_usb
>
> My remote is this one: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/File:MCE-Remote-2-alt2.jpg
>
> Anyone has this remote working on MythTV?
>
> On the future, the idea is to control all devices (TV, amplifier...)
> with the receiver/transmiter.
>
> Thanks for all your help and best regards.

Install lirc-modules-source.  During install, it should ask you what
modules you'd like to build.  Select mceusb2.  If you already have it
installed, you can run "dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source".

After that, to build the module, run as root:
# m-a prepare
# m-a a-i lirc

This will build and install the lirc_mceusb2 kernel module.  Make sure
your /etc/lirc/hardware.conf file looks something like:

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true

# Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
DRIVER=""
# If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and udev is in use /dev/lirc0 will be
# automatically used instead
DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
MODULES="lirc_mceusb2"

Restart lirc (/etc/init.d/lirc restart) and it should load the module
for you, and it should now work.

-- Kevin