[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 00:17:33 UTC 2010

On 12/06/2010 12:46 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/6/2010 15:19, Douglas Peale wrote:
>> I have been trying off and on to get an automated backup system working at my home. The aim was to attach a USB drive to a
>> WRT610n V1 running ddwrt firmware. When it works, I get about 5 MB/sec transfer rates, but using SMB, the transfer nearly always
>> hangs about half way through on a simple copy of about 40 GB.
>
> Your backend has to be on to pull the data from anyway, why not plug the drives straight into your backend?  Use a hotswap bay
> and you can rotate multiple bare drives for better redundancy.
>
> These are all toolless, no tray or enclosure needed...

My system automatically shuts down when idle. I have modified the shutdown scripts so that it schedules a wakeup at 3:00 AM to
do backups.
Plugging the drive straight into the system means that the drives are not physically separate from the machine I'm trying to
backup. Meaning a catastrophic power supply failure could take out the system as well as the backup drive at the same time.
Ideally, the system and the backup drive will at least be in different parts of the house.

Any method that requires swapping out drives manually is doomed to fail. I have proven to myself that I don't do maintenance
tasks well. Any solution must therefore be fully automated.