[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:52:08 UTC 2010

On 7 December 2010 00:17, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 12/06/2010 12:46 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> > On 12/6/2010 15:19, Douglas Peale wrote:
> >> I have been trying off and on to get an automated backup system working
> at my home. The aim was to attach a USB drive to a
> >> WRT610n V1 running ddwrt firmware. When it works, I get about 5 MB/sec
> transfer rates, but using SMB, the transfer nearly always
> >> hangs about half way through on a simple copy of about 40 GB.
> >
> > Your backend has to be on to pull the data from anyway, why not plug the
> drives straight into your backend?  Use a hotswap bay
> > and you can rotate multiple bare drives for better redundancy.
> >
> > These are all toolless, no tray or enclosure needed...
> >

> My system automatically shuts down when idle. I have modified the shutdown
> scripts so that it schedules a wakeup at 3:00 AM to
> do backups.
> Plugging the drive straight into the system means that the drives are not
> physically separate from the machine I'm trying to
> backup. Meaning a catastrophic power supply failure could take out the
> system as well as the backup drive at the same time.
> Ideally, the system and the backup drive will at least be in different
> parts of the house.
>
> Any method that requires swapping out drives manually is doomed to fail. I
> have proven to myself that I don't do maintenance
> tasks well. Any solution must therefore be fully automated.

I don't back up myth data at the moment, will set something up to take care
of the database when I re-build to 0.24, but for personal important stuff:

1. I sync everything between desktop and laptop using Allsync, these are
mostly located in separate rooms and more often than not, laptop is
"offsite"

2. I take a full backup of my PC to a USB HDD every week.  Keep this HDD in
a fireproof safe with other important docs.

3. Have recently signed up to Mozy, going to give it a try for a year.  WIll
probably take that long to do the initial backup on my connection!

4. Have also started using rsync to my home file/ftp/general stuff server,
which is located in an annex at home, so is pretty much "offsite".  This is
very slow and isn't working fully at the moment, am on Windows 7 so using
Deltacopy (Windows rsync client), which isn't that great

Martin