[mythtv-users] XvMC and libmpeg2 to be dropped in 0.25

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 7 14:06:41 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, December 07, 2010 01:56:36 am dargllun wrote:
> On 06.12.2010 21:21, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > in the end, you can always take it to an electronics recycler. Most
> > towns collect this type of thing.
>
> Just as a side note: recycling of electronics is often done in 3rd
> world countries under imensely inhumane and dangerous conditions.
> That is a valid motivation to continue using old hardware as long as
> possible, and any software is doing a Good Thing to support this.

Indeed, there has been a lot of publicity about this.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/ghana804/video/video_index.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/02/25/computer-waste.htm

http://www.workingdirectory.net/posts/2006/59/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Recycling-Gone-Bad-Where-Does-Our-High-
Tech-Waste-Go-38885.shtml

And many more.

Often the organizers of "recycling fairs" or municipalities who try to
recycle old gear are unaware of this, and sometimes have even been
promised (dishonestly) that the stuff will be recycled in the US in
accordance with all applicable laws.

It's very difficult to find a legitimate recycler, and often you must pay
for such services. In California this fee must be paid up front when the
equipment is initially purchased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Waste_Recycling_Fee

I agree that not having to toss it in the first place is the best
solution.