[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 14:54:31 UTC 2010

+1 vote for 2TB WD20 Green drives, with a caution note.

I purchased 3 of these from an online store and 2/3 failed under testing.
Whatever drive you end up purchasing make sure you test it before actually using
it to store real data.  i.e. put a file system on it, load it up with 100% data,
wipe it, repeat a few times.  Check the SMART starts after each run for errors.

Just because the drive is ok at the start of the disk does not mean it is ok at
the end of it.  These drives also exhibited slow throughput.

Returned the 2 failed drives and purchased 3 more from a different online
store.  Tested those and they were all fine.  They are now in a RAID 5 array.

Also, install the latest mdadm utilities, the version that comes with ubuntu
10.04, 10.10 is old and may cause you problems.

I put a GPT partition on these drives using the latest gdisk, bios parition, and
the rest for linux RAID + lvm2.  Mdadm could not deal with it until I used
version 3.1.4.  (latest gdisk handles the 4k sector issues)

Craig