[mythtv-users] Blank white screen in .24

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 7 18:46:02 UTC 2010

  On 12/06/2010 11:22 PM, Shocky wrote:
> I have MythTV installed from the latest packages on PCLinuxOS 2010.07. These
> were built from revision 27420 of the release-0-24-fixes branch.
>
> My TV tuner is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-850, the newest version. To get this
> working I had to use the experimental driver available at
> http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1445 . I've successfully built this against
> a 2.6.33.5 kernel, and have it working with tvtime. This is on a Via
> motherboard with built in S3 Unichrome Pro graphics.
>
> I've been through all the MythTV setup with no problems, all the correct
> devices showed up in the probes. Channel scanning worked, although every
> channel is listed in the scan as locked. Does that mean MythTV thinks it's
> encrypted?
>
> When I try to watch live tv or record all I get is a white screen. Actually,
> on live tv I get the OSD appearing with the correct channel info, and a dark
> blue background. When the OSD disappears, the blue background stays for a
> couple of seconds, then it all turns white. Recordings are just all white from
> the start. I haven't found anything in the verbose output from mythfrontend to
> suggest to me what's wrong.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

First step:  set your Playback Profile group to Slim in mythfrontend
settings, Utilities/Setup|Setup|TV Settings|Playback, 3rd screen.

If that doesn't work, then I'd guess your video drivers are having
problems scaling the video (for example, as it might if you're using a
display size that's smaller than the video size--i.e. using ATSC
high-definition video on an 800x600 display).

Mike