[mythtv-users] 2 TB Hard Drive Recommendations

jmk jmk at foofus.net
Tue Dec 7 20:01:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 11:31 -0800, Kevin Ross wrote:
> FWIW, I have 2 WD10EARS drives, along with 3 WD10EADS drives, in a RAID5
> array.  I needed to fiddle with fdisk to get the partitions started on a
> 4K boundary.  By default, fdisk wants to start a partition at sector 63,
> which is obviously not on a 4K boundary, and would cause performance
> degradation if left like that.
>
> I haven't had any problems with the WD drives in my array.  Also, these
> drives have been fast enough for MythTV.  I sometimes record up to 4 HD
> shows at once, while watching from a frontend, while commflagging, and
> haven't had problems with the drives not being able to keep up.  I do,
> however, keep my MySQL database on a separate drive.

Cool.

Did you find you need any specific versions of utils or kernel to make
things happy with that setup? I'm replacing a Gentoo-based backend, but
will probably just throw Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 on there. I guess I'd
make sure I use the latest gdisk to partition it, but I'm hoping
everything else would just install fine as is.

Joe