[mythtv-users] Streamzap Remote/Receiver w/MythTV on Fedora 14

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 8 14:21:46 UTC 2010

On Dec 8, 2010, at 8:46 AM, John Welch wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> echo lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>>>
>>> That'll disable in-kernel decode and leave only lirc (userspace) decode
>>> active. You're getting lirc events and input layer events simultaneously.
>>>

>> That did it.  Thanks Jarod!
>>
>> John
>>

> OK, so apparently this change doesn't stick after a reboot.

Yep, sorry, should have mentioned that.

> What's
> the best way to handle this; put the 'echo' command in rc.local, or is
> there a better way?

The place for it is probably the lirc initscript. Set lirc-decode-only
on lircd init, restore in-kernel-decode on lircd halt. This is what is
being done in the Ubuntu packages right now, and what I think I'll do
in an upcoming Fedora lirc package update.

> Since this isn't a once and done change I'm now a
> bit more curious about what's going on here.  Is this change specific
> to Fedora 14?

No.

> Is it a lirc change, a kernel change, both?

Kernel change. Several IR drivers have been rewritten for a the new
in-kernel IR stack, including the formerly lirc-only streamzap and
mceusb drivers. For raw IR devices, both in-kernel and userspace
decode w/lirc is now possible.

> I have no
> problem using the 'echo' command, but seems like this could be a bit
> of an issue for some.

Yep, we're in a bit of a transitory state right now.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com