[mythtv-users] Questions about 0.24 (mythweb, captions)

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 17:54:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what caption type you are referring to, but I've just
> committed a fix for black borders on CC-608 captions (analogue/NTSC).
> I've also backported it to 0-24-fixes.
>
> So you should see a black border for external text subtitles, embedded
> text subtitles (rare) and CC-608 captions. CC-708 captions have their
> own styling dictated by the broadcaster and DVB/DVD/Bluray subs are
> all bitmaps rather than raw text. There is no outline for teletext
> subtitles.

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize that the default setting in
mythfrontend/TV playback is now to use CC-708 captions and it appears that
the current CC-608 now use a less visible grey border rather than a black
one.  I'm back to CC-608 grey borders now, which is acceptable until your
patch gets pushed through to atrpms.

I guess my only option is to force CC-608 captions if I want them to have
the borders.

Is it even possible to override the CC-708 style settings to add a border to
those captions?  Unfortunately, CC-708 isn't 100% functional in my broadcast
area right now; but it may come in the future.