[mythtv-users] zfs-fuse anyone?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Thu Dec 9 15:41:42 UTC 2010

Am 09.12.2010 16:19, schrieb Richard Shaw:

> I know ZFS has some (at lot of) advantages for the system
> administrator, but this recent review[1] shows quite a bit of
> performance penalty.
>
> Richard
>
> [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=zfs_fuse_performance&num=1

Sure, I know that.

But in this case I don't need the best performance. I only record from
two DVB-S-cards, no HD yet ... so I think I won't need the fastest
filesystem here.

I look for redundancy to keep my recordings a bit safer than I do right
now, backing up to tape gets a bit difficult with increasing volumes of
data ...

I could just test it:

Additional to my 2 storage-dirs in my storagegroup (both formatted with
XFS) I could add a zfs-fuse-dir and see what happens. Maybe just move
some recordings there and test if I get any problems.

Next week I get 2 new SATA-disks because one of mine seems to get flaky
... then I will have to decide how to go on with organizing my storage
there.

I really like the flexibility of zfs-fuse, btw ... and so far 0.6.9 has
been stable for me. And it repaired ("self-healing") defective blocks
coming from that flaky hdd, a feature that I like very much!

(I also store other data on that server, not only mythtv-recordings)

Stefan