[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 9 19:13:17 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:00:16 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/9/2010 12:45, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:31:46 am Clifford Snow wrote:
> >> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Ben Kamen<bkamen at benjammin.net>
> >> wrote:
> >> http://windowssecrets.com/2010/12/09/02-Set-top-boxes-match-up-Ap
> >> ple- TV-vs.-Google-TV
> >
> > PlayON provides much more, for much less, and of course is not even
> > mentioned in the article.
>
> I've always been a bit leery of PlayOn.  Many of the sites they
> access use encryption to limit access to the content to the official
> player, outputting directly to a display.  PlayOn bypasses this
> encryption, transcodes, and then sends it out the video insecurely
> over UPNP.

Many of the "official players" have component outputs, which are certainly
not "secure".

> Say what you want about allowances for
> inter-compatibility, strictly speaking, they are violating the DMCA,
> and they are doing so without consent.  The fact that they're a
> commercial, for-profit entity makes them seem like a ripe target.

I'm not sure, I agree they are a potential target, but even if they went
away tomorrow I feel I have received a good value for what I have paid
them.

Many of the sources it allows me to view are foreign news and
documentary programming, the owners of which are not trying to get money
from me, and are not available in any other convenient way.