[mythtv-users] Options for Backing up Myth data

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Thu Dec 9 19:40:03 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 09:27:09 -0700
> From: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>

> On Thursday, December 09, 2010 09:16:59 am Raymond Wagner wrote:

>> If you intend to back
>> up your entire, multi-TB collection, there is a time component
>> involved that you're not considering.  With a hard drive or tape
>> drive, you tell it to copy, and you come back half a day and several
>> TB later.  With Bluray, you're going to have to keep coming back
>> every 20-30 minutes to swap disks, and you have to do that 80+ times
>> to equal one large hard drive.  My time is just worth more than
>> that.
>
> That same argument would apply to flash drives, since flash units larger
> than 32GB (or even 16) are prohibitively expensive, and need to be
> changed as well.
>
> The problem with hard drives is once removed from a system they are
> extremely fragile, as was pointed out earlier.
>
> Tape systems are beyond what most consumers want to spend, especially if
> you include a SCSI controller.

Some software, such as Retrospect, will automatically continue backing up
on the next available media when it fills the first piece.   How about
something like a 4 bay Firewire enclosure with four BR drives in it?
True, it increases the cost a few hundred dollars, but it is still miles
cheaper than tape.  And that ameliorates the need to tend the operation
while it is backing up.  One need stop by to swap media only 1/4 as often.

An eight bay system would be better, but that would cost $1000+ with
drives and Firewire/SATA bridges.

I agree that there's no good consumer level backup solution available.
Ever since hard drives outgrew my DAT DDS2 drive I've been a frustrated
back-upper.  The above is the best compromise I've come up with.

Jeff Walther