[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 9 20:25:36 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 01:07:34 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/9/2010 15:03, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:51:13 pm Brian Fischer wrote:
> >> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Raymond
> >> Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>

> >> I was wondering the same thing regarding PlayOn and TVersity.
> >> They claim to be no different than Boxee, but Boxee does not
> >> "transcode". I would stay away from the expensive lifetime
> >> subscription due to this...
> >
> > "Expensive" is a relative term, even if you go with the "lifetime"
> > option, it's still cheaper than any other option to watch Netflix
> > streaming, assuming you already have something that will play
> > UPnP/DLNA exports (Xbox-360, PS3, Wii and many others), or a
> > software "solution".
>
> I'm a bit confused by this.  All three consoles you mention, plus
> several other hardware players, and any PC running Windows or OSX,
> can watch Netflix directly.  Why would you pay for PlayOn if you had
> one of those?

Because you might want to watch it on a TV set, not a computer monitor,
and some folks have problems getting computer video into their TV,
especially without all the "clutter" that's often on-screen.

Plus, some of us do not want to run Windows or OSX.  Granted PlayOn
requires Windows, but I do that with a headless machine in the garage,
Windows is not allowed in the domestic parts of my home.

Watching directly on some of those game consoles requires extra money to
be paid to MS (X-Box Live), not something I'd do willingly.

And PlayOn is a LOT more than just Netflix, having all that extra content
available from the same source, in a way my 83-year-old mother can deal
with, is nice.

I'd say I use PlayOn for Netflix less than 5% of the time I use it.

I'm watching BBC News as we speak, not something I could easily do on my
TV set without PlayON and the scrIPTV script. 4 clicks and I'm watching
Russia Today or Al Jazeera, can't easily do that with a Netflix-only
solution.

Lots of options, that's what life is all about. PlayOn gives me more
options, and more ways to use them, than any standalone player or a
computer alone.