[mythtv-users] Another lirc issue

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Dec 10 12:04:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Donn Washburn <n5xwb at comcast.net> wrote:
> I do have it compiling as we type.  It has product a bunch of file.o being
> made.  It finished
> They look like video card drivers.

There's a whole bunch of drivers in there in addition to the lirc drivers.

> Any of you folk installed it yet?

Yes, I have.

>  What is the reason you need it?   Models of this type are normally built
> into the kernel.

These are the upstream sources for the modules which are now being
distributed with the kernel.  You need these because the ones in your
kernel are very buggy.  This replaces them with newer versions which
are less buggy.  (I don't believe in software which is not buggy, it's
all a question of degree.)

Eric