[mythtv-users] install Myth on an off-the-shelf system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 10 14:18:56 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 10, 2010 01:26:26 am okcancel wrote:
> I need to *remotely* help a non-technical relative setup Myth.
> He will follow basic instructions like point, click, type,
> connect keyboard, mouse, network cable, coax cable, etc.
>
> But he cannot replace memory, hard disk, etc.
> Once the basic system is up and running, I can login via ssh and vnc
> and do the rest.
>
> To begin, we are looking for a Myth system that:
> *  Can be ordered online.
> *  Can be used out-of-the WITHOUT adding any more memory, disk,
> video, etc. *  Video port can be VGA or HDMI.
> *  DVD or CD is not required, should be bootable via USB.
> *  No tuner will be installed.
> *  Will connect to a HDHomeRun on the LAN. (So HD channels.)
> *  A remote control is not required.
> *  Has a small footprint, preferably.
> *  If more disk space is required later, we can add a USB drive.
>
> In other words, the hardware should be good-to-go. Just add Myth.
>
> Can you recommend such a system (make/model) and the online vendor?

Having done this myself, I would suggest you get the machine at your
home, set it up and then ship it to your relation.

Myth is just too complex to set up in the way you described, believe me,
I have tried, even with highly technical people, it just doesn't work.

You might even do it in stages, such as sending him (I assume it's a
"him") the HDHR, and having him check it out using the graphical tools
Haupauge supplies, assuming he has a PC already.

But I really think you're better off shipping a machine already set up to
him,  then doing any necessary tweaking remotely.

I'm also assuming you're setting up a combo front/back-end.

Just about any machine should be able to do what you want, you'll have
to decide if you want to use VDPAU for playback, or just use software.
Since all your HDHR recordings will be MPEG2, it shouldn't take all that
much CPU grunt.

Just pick your favorite vendor. I've bought several machines from the
Geeks:

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=SYS

But you may prefer someone else. Some vendors specialize in small
footprint machines.

Good luck.