[mythtv-users] install Myth on an off-the-shelf system

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Dec 10 15:06:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 07:18:56AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday, December 10, 2010 01:26:26 am okcancel wrote:
> > I need to *remotely* help a non-technical relative setup Myth.
> > He will follow basic instructions like point, click, type,
> > connect keyboard, mouse, network cable, coax cable, etc.
> >
> > But he cannot replace memory, hard disk, etc.
> > Once the basic system is up and running, I can login via ssh and vnc
> > and do the rest.
> >
> > To begin, we are looking for a Myth system that:
> > *  Can be ordered online.
> > *  Can be used out-of-the WITHOUT adding any more memory, disk,
> > video, etc. *  Video port can be VGA or HDMI.
> > *  DVD or CD is not required, should be bootable via USB.
> > *  No tuner will be installed.
> > *  Will connect to a HDHomeRun on the LAN. (So HD channels.)
> > *  A remote control is not required.
> > *  Has a small footprint, preferably.
> > *  If more disk space is required later, we can add a USB drive.
> >
> > In other words, the hardware should be good-to-go. Just add Myth.
> >
> > Can you recommend such a system (make/model) and the online vendor?

    Yes. Definitely do a complete build of the system before delivering it.

> Having done this myself, I would suggest you get the machine at your
> home, set it up and then ship it to your relation.
>
> Myth is just too complex to set up in the way you described, believe me,
> I have tried, even with highly technical people, it just doesn't work.
>
> You might even do it in stages, such as sending him (I assume it's a
> "him") the HDHR, and having him check it out using the graphical tools
> Haupauge supplies, assuming he has a PC already.
>
> But I really think you're better off shipping a machine already set up to
> him,  then doing any necessary tweaking remotely.
>
> I'm also assuming you're setting up a combo front/back-end.

    This needs to be as simple as possible. It should be as close to a Tivo
as you can get. Having multiple boxes is more complex. This sort of setup
also depends on having a suitably good network. I am not even sure that the
external tuner is really a good idea either. However, the HDHR is the least
problematic tuner I've ever had.

    "Less moving parts" is generally better.